PPEC Specialized Education
PPEC School & Education
Established in 1991, Children’s Rehab is a Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care (PPEC) medical daycare that provides comprehensive care for children in need. A PPEC is a non-residential daycare facility that offers nursing, personal care, therapeutic, and developmental services to medically complex children. In the state of Florida, PPEC facilities are required to meet stringent standards, including having a licensed pediatrician or pediatric nurse practitioner on staff, and maintaining an extraordinary staff-to-child ratio to ensure personalized care. At Children’s Rehab, schooling and education are integral parts of the holistic care provided to children who qualify for PPEC. PPEC specialized education is woven into the fabric of the care plan, ensuring that each child’s developmental, medical, and educational needs are met in a nurturing and supportive environment.
Special Needs Education for PPEC Patients
Children’s Rehab is proud to partner with Miami Dade County Public Schools (MDCPS), a collaboration that enables us to provide top-tier educational services to our children. Our MDCPS special education teacher is specifically trained to work with children of varying learning capabilities, ensuring that every child, regardless of their medical or developmental challenges, receives an education tailored to their unique needs. To this end, we create individual plans that maximize each child’s comprehensive development through a social and stimulating curriculum.
In line with Florida guidelines, our educational program for PPEC patients includes the standard Exceptional Student Education curriculum. This ensures that our children are receiving medical and therapeutic care as well as being academically nurtured to reach their full potential. Each family receives a written Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for their child, which serves as the educational roadmap during their time at our PPEC. The IEP outlines the child’s current levels of academic achievement, sets measurable annual goals, and specifies the special education and related services that will be provided to help the child reach those goals. This comprehensive approach ensures that every child’s educational journey at Children’s Rehab is personalized, structured, and supportive.
See What Our Clients Say About Us
PPEC School Curriculum
At Children’s Rehab, our PPEC specialized education is designed with a keen focus on individualized learning. Instructional practices are adjusted based on each child’s unique needs, age group, learning abilities, and cognitive level, ensuring a tailored educational experience that caters to the child’s specific requirements. Our curriculum is comprehensive, encompassing not just academic skills such as reading, writing, and listening, but also essential life skills like problem-solving, social interaction, and organization. We believe in fostering a well-rounded development, and our learning modules are structured to promote emotional growth, cognitive function, and social engagement. Through this holistic approach, we strive to ensure that every child reaches their full potential, regardless of their medical or developmental challenges. Our goal is to equip our students with the knowledge, skills, and confidence they need to thrive in all aspects of life.
Benefits of PPEC Specialized Education with Children’s Rehab
Schooling and education through a PPEC facility offer numerous benefits for medically fragile children, including:
- Integrated Care: PPEC facilities provide a unique blend of medical, therapeutic, and educational services, ensuring that children receive comprehensive care tailored to their specific needs.
- Individualized Learning: Education at a PPEC facility is personalized, with instructional practices adjusted based on each child’s unique needs, learning abilities, and cognitive level.
- Holistic Development: PPEC facilities focus on the overall development of a child, including emotional growth, cognitive function, and social engagement, alongside academic learning.
- Specialized Staff: PPEC facilities employ staff who are specially trained to work with medically fragile children, ensuring that each child receives the care and attention they need.
- Safe Environment: PPEC facilities provide a safe and nurturing environment where medically fragile children can learn, grow, and interact with their peers.
- Consistent Routine: Attending a PPEC facility provides a consistent routine, which can be beneficial for children with medical complexities.
- Peer Interaction: PPEC facilities offer opportunities for social interaction with peers, which can enhance a child’s social skills and emotional well-being.
- Family Support: PPEC facilities often provide resources and support for families, helping them navigate the challenges of caring for a medically fragile child.
- Compliance with State Standards: Education at a PPEC facility complies with state standards, ensuring that children receive a quality education that meets their developmental and academic needs.
- Preparation for Future Learning: The skills and knowledge gained at a PPEC facility can prepare children for future learning experiences, enhancing their ability to succeed academically and socially.
Medical Daycare Nursing Care Services
As a Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care (PPEC) facility, Children’s Rehab is committed to providing comprehensive and exceptional care for children with medical complexities. Our services extend beyond medical care to encompass a wide range of support, including nursing, schooling, education, and more, all tailored to meet the unique needs of each child. Our nursing care is exceptional, delivered by a team of dedicated professionals who are trained to work with medically fragile children. The benefits of our PPEC nursing care are manifold. It ensures that children receive the medical attention they need in a nurturing and supportive environment. Our nurses are skilled at managing complex medical conditions, providing routine care, and responding to emergencies. Moreover, they work closely with our educational team to ensure that each child’s health needs are met while they continue to learn and grow. At Children’s Rehab, we believe in providing holistic care that supports every aspect of a child’s development.
Benefits of PPEC Services with Children’s Rehab
When a child qualifies for PPEC services at Children’s Rehab, they are eligible to attend the facility for up to 12 hours a day, providing parents with the flexibility they need to manage their own schedules. Importantly, there is no out-of-pocket payment required, making our services accessible to all who need them. We also offer free transportation, ensuring that all children can reach our facility with ease. Our comprehensive care coordination can replace home nursing care, providing a seamless transition for families. Furthermore, attending our PPEC facility offers children the opportunity for increased socialization with their peers. Each child also receives personalized case management, ensuring that their unique medical, developmental, and educational needs are met in a coordinated and effective manner.
Who PPEC Specialized Education Teachers Serve
At Children’s Rehab, we serve a diverse range of children who qualify for PPEC services, including those who require medication administration by nurses, such as insulin or other injections, tube feedings, tracheostomy care, management of gastrointestinal tubes, and much more. We understand that premature babies are at a higher risk for developing developmental issues, and we are equipped to provide the specialized care they need. Our facility includes a dedicated baby room equipped with cribs where these infants are closely monitored at all times, as they may require oxygen or have specific conditions such as seizures. We also understand that there is often an overlap between children who meet the qualifying criteria for PPEC and those who have developmental delays, physical disabilities, or learning disabilities. Recognizing this, we ensure that children with developmental delays or disabilities receive a special education curriculum tailored to their specific needs. Our goal is to provide a nurturing and supportive environment where every child can thrive, regardless of their medical or developmental challenges.
Who Qualifies for PPEC
Qualifying for PPEC services at Children’s Rehab involves a few key criteria. Eligible children range from birth through age 20 and must be medically fragile or have complex medical needs. However, they should also be medically stable, meaning their condition is managed and does not require immediate hospitalization. Individuals who have already qualified for home health services will most likely meet the criteria for PPEC services as well, as the requirements are similar. It’s important to note that the final determination for PPEC eligibility is typically made by the child’s primary care physician or specialist, based on the child’s medical condition and the family’s need for support. We encourage families to reach out to us or their healthcare provider for more detailed information about qualification requirements.
How to Apply for PPEC in Florida
Applying for PPEC services in Florida, specifically at Children’s Rehab, involves the following steps:
- Initial Contact: Reach out to Children’s Rehab PPEC to express your interest in our services. You can do this via phone, email, or through our website.
- Schedule a Visit: Arrange a time to come and see our facility. This will give you an opportunity to understand the environment your child will be in, meet our staff, and ask any questions you may have.
- Assessment: We will help you determine if your child qualifies for PPEC services. This involves reviewing your child’s medical history, current health status, and overall needs.
- Insurance Verification: Once it’s determined that your child qualifies for PPEC services, we will work with your insurance company to verify coverage and understand the specifics of your plan.
- Application Submission: If your child qualifies and your insurance coverage is confirmed, we will guide you through the process of completing and submitting the necessary application forms to enroll your child in our PPEC services.
Remember, our team at Children’s Rehab is here to assist you every step of the way. We understand that this can be a challenging time for families, and we are committed to making the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Other PPEC Services Included in Extended Care
At Children’s Rehab, we offer a comprehensive suite of services that are included in the care package for children who are our patients. It’s important to note that these are also offered standalone services, in addition to forming an integral part of the holistic care we provide. Our facility is open for up to 12 hours a day, and we are open on Saturdays. We offer after-school hours until 6pm to accommodate the varying needs of families. In addition to education, children benefit from a range of services including nursing care, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, and PPEC behavioral therapy. We also provide recreational activities to ensure a well-rounded experience for our children. To make our services as accessible as possible, we offer free transportation for all our children. Here are some of the services our enrolled patients benefit from in addition to education:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
PPEC services are typically covered by Medicaid and most private insurance plans. There is no out-of-pocket payment required from families. It’s always best to check with your specific insurance provider to understand the coverage details.
PPEC specialized education services include a comprehensive curriculum tailored to each child’s unique needs. This includes academic skills such as reading, writing, and listening, as well as life skills like problem-solving, social interaction, and organization. The curriculum also promotes emotional growth, cognitive function, and social engagement.
PPEC services offer a unique blend of medical, therapeutic, and educational services in one location, providing a holistic approach to care. This integrated model ensures that children’s medical needs are met while they continue to learn and grow. It also offers opportunities for social interaction with peers, which can enhance a child’s social skills and emotional well-being.
Children’s Rehab is equipped to support children with both medical complexities and developmental delays. Our team of professionals includes special education teachers and therapists who are trained to work with children with a range of developmental challenges. We create individualized education plans and therapy programs to meet each child’s specific needs.
The income limit to qualify for Medicaid and thus PPEC services can vary based on the state and the specific Medicaid program. In Florida, for instance, the income limit for the Medicaid program that covers PPEC services is determined as a percentage of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). It’s best to check with your local Medicaid office or a Medicaid eligibility specialist to get the most accurate and current information.